I wish I could say I started off 2018 with some very clear sewing/crafting resolutions. I did not. No dictate felt so imminent as to jump out at me on January 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. I did, however, start a sewing journal to chronicle my results from sewing patterns and to plan out future projects. This is proving to already be a great help because I have the common problem of being able to think of ideas much, much faster that I can realize them. Often times I forget about something I wanted to make and I don’t think about it again for another year of so.
My first sewing project of 2018 is the In the Folds, Collins Top. It’s a trapeze blouse with a modified raglan sleeve and it’s a silhouette that should look good on just about anyone. I made it in a beautiful, sienna raw silk. It looks a bit like wet terracotta, a shade that aligns with the more muted, earthen palette I’m feeling right now. It is probably not the best fabric choice for this pattern, but not the worst either. Fabrics along the lines of linens and cotton gauze are recommended for the Collins Top. Just about everything I made through the summer was in linen. So I’ve been itching to go in another direction. Despite telling myself I need to get out of the habit buying fabric without a designated project for said fabric, I bought this raw silk before I decided to make the Collins top. I can add that to my 2018 sewing resolutions. Next time around, I would go in a very different direction with the fabric choice. As many have done with this pattern, I’d probably go with a stripe or do some color blocking to take advantage of the numerous panels in the shirt.
The Collins Top is not the easiest pattern. However, there is nothing about it that is particularly difficult. It is heavily seamed. So there are more pattern pieces that your average top, but the instructions are expertly written and well illustrated. I had not seen this before in a PDF pattern (admittedly, I haven’t printed that many PDF patterns), but the In the Folds PDFs are layered so that you can select the pattern for a particular size and print just the one pattern. Genius, right? Printing patterns can be such a waste of paper and ink. Too bad I only figured this out after I printed the whole, multi-sized pattern.
The only problem I had with this shirt is that the size I made is entirely too big. Way, way, way too big! I follow the measurement chart for the pattern, which put me at a size 6. I should’ve known better that to follow this, because shirt patterns usually fit me in the smallest size. But I said, “No, I’ll follow the chart.” Now, as you can see in the photos, this shirt, though well constructed, is swallowing me whole. I did my best to style it here, but ultimately I think it will have be a gift for someone. Not only is it two sizes too big, but also I think I will also have to shorten the top significantly to make it more flattering. Needless to say, I am really, really regretting not making a muslin draft of this one.
But I can put that aside and give the Collins Top an A+. I’ll make this again, in a size I can wear with confidence. I’d also make any other In the Folds patterns without hesitation.